Friday, January 13, 2012

Early Morning Walk in Morrumbala, Mozambique

I have decided to attempt uploading pictures on a daily basis taken with my cell/mobile phone.
At present I am in Morrumbala, Mozambique where my husband Graham is working as Agriculture Manager dealing with small holder cotton out growers for a large International company called OLAM
By 8am the heat here is unbearable, so I try to get out for a walk before 6am. That way the swarms of flies are not so bad and I don't jump around like a deranged rabbit, flapping my hat at them and shouting obscenities that should not emanate from a lady's mouth! 
Derelict Cotton Furnace
There are five staff houses where the managers, accountants and mechanics live, plus the huge cotton gin and warehouses here in the OLAM complex.
It is security fenced, with a bevy of security guards that pop up from behind trees and bushes and greet me with a cheery "Ola!"

On the fringe of the fence boundaries a massive village has evolved, with a mixture of  thatched mud houses and for the more affluent Mozambican a compact brick abode. 
In between the houses is a huge open market and moonshine bars, each with a music center strategically placed at the doors, their large speakers blasting out local music that thumps loudly with an ear shattering din of base boom-boom. 
It wouldn't be so bad if there was only one of these bars, but there are three, all within a stones throw of each other and they all have different music blaring, trying to entice customers in to drink. The music starts at about 5am and continues throughout the day into the night until about 11pm.
In desperation I cut 3 CD's of my music and asked the gardener, Iloma to go and give them to the owners of the bars. Two days later the same loud music was being played and when I asked Iloma where my music was, he looked at me in surprise and told me that he liked it, so he took the CD's home with him!
(The locals here are delightful, friendly, child-like and see no reason why they should not "take" things.)
Beautiful Flamboyant Tree and Blue Skies

There are so many subjects to photograph, from the people, the old Colonial Portuguese architecture to the lush, tropical flora and fauna.

I have two fantastic cameras that I use for my professional photography, but seeing as I always have my mobile on me, I thought this would be a good way to have you "walk" with me and "see" what I see on a daily basis.

So, enjoy your daily walk...

(Oh, PS: if you like Susan's Light-Box posts, you may also like to read my longer Bare Foot White African Posts.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from my readers, so please leave your comments.